What is the Most Attractive Age For Men and For Women?

It’s a question we are all wondering.  Is there a “most attractive” age for men and women? Is the age the same or different for males and females? Luckily for me, there are many studies done on this subject, so I was able to find lots of statistics on what the most attractive age is. Will it be all over by age 40, or can you still look as sexy as George Clooney and Elle McPherson? George is 51 and Elle is either 49 or 50; it’s interesting to note that Wikipedia has two birth dates for her!

First – what do we find attractive?

What do women say is attractive in men?

So, ladies what do you like? I have previously written a post on what I find attractive in men. It seems that some of the things I have mentioned are attributes that other women admire too.

According to research broken down by The Independent, women tend to be more attracted to men who have a relatively narrow waist, a V-shaped torso, and broad shoulders. Women also tend to preference men who are taller than they are, and display a high degree of facial symmetry, as well as relatively masculine facial dimorphism, according to a study called Sex-Dimorphic Face Shape Preference in Heterosexual and Homosexual Men and Women.

What do men say is attractive in women?

What do men like? I also wrote a post where I broke down my body for my readers, mentioning all the things I love and hate. Hey, it’s just a body, right? She’s a good girl but she’s not all of me. The Body causes me trouble every now and then, but on the whole, we get along.

So what do men find hot? Attractiveness research indicates that heterosexual men tend to be attracted to young and beautiful women with bodily symmetry. Evolutionary psychologists attribute such attraction to an evaluation of the fertility potential in a prospective mate. (source: Wikipedia)

Hmmm. So it seems that symmetry is a major factor in attractiveness. I have to say that it’s one thing I have never thought about. I can say for sure that I am not perfectly symmetrical. I’m not wonky, though.

What is the Most Attractive Age For Men and For Women?

Grey hairs on men OK, but grey hairs on women are not

I found one survey that said this about grey hair: ‘When respondents were asked to use a word to describe grey hair on men the top answer was “distinguished,” but for grey hair on women it was “old.”’ Sheesh. I do not have any greys yet and I don’t plan to get them until I hit 60.  Right now I am nearly 35 and some reports might suggest that it is already all over for me!

Women are most attractive at age 30

I found one online source that conducted a study of 2,000 people across the United States. It found that women were considered to have reached their peak at 30, start to show signs of ageing at 41, stop looking “sexy” at 53, and are “old” at 55.

OK – that’s good news. According to the study I still have nearly 20 ‘sexy’ years left before I am ‘old’.

Men are delusional and want much younger women

What is the Most Attractive Age For Men and For Women? | Older couple

Have you heard of dating website, eHarmony? It’s all the rage here in Australia but I’m not keen on these sites. If you’re a halfway decent looking girl you get bombarded with messages from tattooed, shirtless yobbos and it’s very hard to deal with. I found an interesting statistic that mentioned:

Cross-cultural data shows that the reproductive success of women is tied to their youth and physical attractiveness… 25% of eHarmony’s male customers over the age of 50 request to only be matched with women younger than 40.

The older we get, the more dates men get, the fewer women get

If you’re a chick, your ‘dating pool’ is shrinking, according to a recent OkCupid study. It found that after age 26 men have a larger potential dating pool than women; by 48 their pool is almost twice as large. The median 31 years-old male user searches for women aged 22 to 35, while the median 42 years-old male searches for women 27 to 45.  (source)

30 years old blokes are still “trying it on” with teen girls

What is the Most Attractive Age For Men and For Women? | Younger Couple

Pfft! I do believe this since one of my most popular posts is about my boobs and because one of the tags is teen breasts, I get a lot of traffic that is probably dirty old men hoping to score a peep at some young norks. Please note, when I say ‘teen’ I guess these sites are referring to women who are 18 and 19, not younger.

Here is the quote on dirty old men: ‘The age skew is even greater with messages to other users; the median 30 years-old male messages teenage girls as often as women his own age, while mostly ignoring women a few years older than him. Excluding the most and least beautiful 10% of women, however, women’s attractiveness does not change between 18 and 40.’ (source)

42 Comments

• splooge says:

dirty old men are not equal to cougars? Its instinct to chase after young fertile women, cant change billions of years of evolution.

Hi Splooge –

Interesting point – then how does it work in reverse? Why would younger women be attracted to older (less fertile) men, I wonder?

–Alyce

• claire smith says:

men dont become less fertile. they can father children at much later ages

• claire smith says:

plus an older man suggests he can be a better provider for children

Hi Claire

Thanks for comments. I have heard that, in fact, men do lose fertility with age, the same as women. They have lower sperm counts and less functioning (“lazy”) sperm after age 45. Here’s a link resource: http://www.mommyish.com/2011/10/20/men-have-a-biological-clock-too-259/

However, as you say, there are heaps of resources that say fertility in men is good until 55. Who knows? I’m sure it may be down to the individual.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Alyce

• Wallace says:

In evolutionary terms, if an older man is healthy and fit, he has demonstrated his genetic superiority.

(sperm heath is related to overall health–healthy older men tend to be very fertile)

An older woman that is healthy also demonstrates her genetic superiority, however she is not fertile at all.

Hi Wallace,

I really like your comment, but we all know that the statement “healthy older men tend to be very fertile” is under discussion/debate. There are lots of studies that suggest that sperm goes “off”, much like women’s eggs. However, I’d love to see more research into this stuff because I know we’re all fed lots of myths and the truth is very individualistic.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Alyce

• alex says:

Alyce i think you may be a little off with your logic. Fertility in men and youth isnt something that matters like it does for women. Men dont have to get pregnant and raise the child. Even if men do lose sperm count on their 50s which honostly is pretty old, they can still EASILY get your pregnant. However being pregnant at 50 for a women is one hell of an ordeal. The issue of ferility has a lot to do with child birth. Thats some serious buisness akd you need a young healthy woman.

The issue for women is can he protect me? Can he provide for me? Is he an alpha male? This is what they desire. They want youth, social status, and protection on an instintual level. Leadership. Being fertile as in having slightly more sperm or not really doesnt make a womans survival chances any better or worse and therefore is irrelavent. Being young and youthful for a woman is VERY important. You need to survive pregnancy and raise this child which will be totally dependant on your body for milk and to carry around for YEARS. You need a young body for that. Woman need an alpha male protecter. Not a 20 year old filled with extra sperm and no social status more often than not. That is why woman developed to find slightly older faces better looking. 28-32 is prime sex appeal for a man. Studies also found (the horrible truth for woman) that men always find 20 year olds the most attractive no matter what their own age is.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your comment but your sentence, “Even if men do lose sperm count on their 50s which honestly is pretty old, they can still EASILY get your pregnant,” is completely subjective and therefore not really accurate. Some men in their 50s can father children, some can’t. I find your comment that “women have developed to find slightly older faces better looking” quite laughable as well. However, I’d love to see that particular study – so if you can recall it, please link!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Love, Alyce

• alex says:

Men arent carrying and raising the babies historically. Fertilitiy isnt the issue. Woman want an alpha male. I.E. social status/physical strength/resources (money/job).

Woman biologically want older because older means established and more powerful. Hence a 30 year old man generally is still youthful and strong and athletic physically in many cases but has far more resources and typically a leadership role in society than a 21 year old man for instance. Ferility isnt what woman are after. Alpha male protectors are. And alpha male means social status/resources/and physical aptitude which you can argue peak on men in the late 20s early 30s.

• claire smith says:

plus an older man suggests he can be a better provider for children

• Jo says:

what a load of rubbish Claire. Many men over 50 cant even get erections, what the point of marrying a rich old guy if you cant reproduce. Also 95% of women marry men 10 years of their age. Im sure they had the opportunity but they decided to go with poor younger men than the doctor down the street. Also younger men are able to make a old woman in her 40s pregnant than a guy her age. If women are so interested in money why do we have pictures of hot guys on our wall instead of pictures of bill gates. Women are able to get their own money today and we are adaptive we learned to drive cars, thats not nature, it is.

Hi Jo-

Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, the article mentions several studies that have differing results – so I agree that there is no hard and fast rule here! And you are correct, men’s fertility does drop with age like women’s – but not as dramatically as the toll on their bodies is not as great as with women and childbirth. Not sure what you mean by, “Also 95% of women marry men 10 years of their age.” Do you mean – “within a 10 year gap of their age”?

–Alyce

• j dub says:

Total BS. I’m 44 and would do just about anything to find a nice 40-46 year old woman who is kind, loving , emotionally supportive.

Hi J Dub-

Well, I agree with you to a certain extent! All the studies cited in the blog post seemed to come up with different ages anyway. I think it’s great that you’re on the hunt for a lady around your own age. I’m sure you’ll meet someone great. Best of luck with your search and let me know how you go!
      –Alyce

• CJ says:

J Dub Hats off to you for your comment…Now I find that Atractive” Beauty doesn’t come and go” and it’s not a number ”
        What is wrong with you people” LOOK” at what your saying”I find you all are Very Unattractive at what ever age you are now” and if you retrain your way of thinking” you have a chance to become a Beautiful person even at the age of 100″ your all programmed how Boring that must be. Your not Alive” you don’t know what beauty Looks like if it hit you right smack between those lifeless eyes “

• andrew says:

There is something wrong with me then. I am more attracted to women in their 40s than 20 somethings and have been for most of my adult life..I’d much rather go to theatre and cultural holidays than club 18-30…..I think I am on a branch of evolution that does not go very far though…

Hi Andrew-

Each to their own! I don’t see that there’s anything wrong with that. You may be attracted to confidence and power, and women who are settled in their own skin. Our 20s can be fraught with feelings of self doubt and women and men in their 20s have lots of self discovery to do (in most cases).

Good luck on your search for the perfect partner – remember, it’s what is inside that counts; someone’s morals, ethics and standards. Age is just a number.

All the best, Alyce

• Mansoor says:

There are more women in the world then men apart from this Men are getting die in Wars, at terrorist attack, road accident etc

Women are capable to live more then a men physically, specially married once

What i think is that it is important for the men to get marry to a girl who is atleast 10year younger from him from example men 28, women 18/19 so when he gets die so the women can take care for the children for long

Hi Mansoor,

Thanks for your comment, but really, it doesn’t make much sense! After all, it’s not just men that die in wars, traffic accidents and terrorist attacks, right? Also, a man’s and a woman’s life expectancy is not that different – you are correct that women have a longer life expectancy – but it’s nowhere near 10 years – you know that, right? It’s more like 2-4 years, varying by country. For example, in Australia (where I live) males live to 80.1 and females to 84.3. From the tone of your comment, I am guessing you’re single. Might want to modernise your views slightly or you may not find a partner at all.

–Take care and thanks for taking the time to connect.

–Alyce

• Trudow says:

I can’t believe you answered all of the comments. I can’t believe I’m saying this more than a year after.

• Kira says:

Rather depressing article, as being read by a 50-year-old woman, but then I reflect on the fact that I have made such dramatic lifestyle changes [whole food vegan, etc] that I have the body I wished for 20 years ago, and feel amazing and all woman! I have come into my own…and it shows. Guys of all ages check me out every day. So as for the article, well, so what? Attractiveness starts inside. Don’t let anybody tell you different!!!

Hi Kira,
      Wow, I love your comment and thanks so much for taking the time to connect. I agree that many people get BETTER as we age! When I was a teen and in my early 20s, I was harder on myself; I thought all my little imperfections mattered. Now that I am well into my 30s, I look at my body and think, “Hey, she’s not so bad!” I am far from perfect, but I have come to love and trust this vessel that I am in. I am so pleased to hear that you feel even better and more vibrant in your 50s – that’s a huge achievement and I’m not surprised you’re still turning heads – you sound so confident and self-assured; two very attractive qualities!

Check out my other post Getting older for women: Which parts of my body will get better with age? (Although in hindsight I wouldn’t have singled out women in the title – that’s a bit sexist!)

Hope you have a great week.

x x x Alyce

• Mike Bressler says:

You’re a sexist.. You call men “delusional”, and ” blokes”. Simply for wanting what comes naturally to them. You’re no better than the misogyny of the past. Time to modernize your views, and grow up… Mike..

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for getting in touch. Where I live (in Sydney, Australia) “blokes” just means “men” and is not considered a derogatory term. Men who habitually seek out younger women are often delusional, as they fail to see that their advances are often perceived as “creepy” by younger chicks. Most men and women, statistically, don’t engage in age gap relationships. They are not the norm but that’s not to say that there are not many successful examples. Thanks for taking the time to connect.
      x x Alyce

• Dom says:

Interesting stuff. I’m surprised that you’ve only sourced Wikipedia to evidence your research. Your blog would be even more credible if you were able find the root source (i.e. beyond the Wiki reference).

HI Dom,

Thanks very much for that feedback, and I agree 100% – I wrote this article quite a while ago and I have now amended to show my sources. The first reference to Wikipedia has to stand – as I really do find it amusing that Elle McPherson has a “shifting birth date”. Fair enough I say – after 25 no one wants to admit their age anyway!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
      Regards, Alyce

• Mike says:

I’m 44 yr old male married with children. Just broke up with a 42 yr old other woman separated with no children. I want to know if my ex woman can still find life after our affair. She could not give child due to reproductive problem. Yes she has the appeal and the body. Can she get a long term partner?Hoping for your reply.

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for getting in touch. You sound very concerned for your ex partner, why is that? If you have broken up – cut the cord, it no longer matters what she does. Whether she finds another partner or not is not your concern, is it? You should focus on your needs and your life. As to whether your ex will find another partner, who can say? You were obviously attracted to her so it stands to reason that others will be too. There are millions of poeple in their 40s and beyond who find new, successful partnerships – age is not a barrier to love.

Thanks for your comment and best of luck in your situation.
      –Alyce

• John Roberts says:

I find it repulsive and disgusting when a 30+ year old man attempts to court a girl as young as 18. People say this is normal but I’m convinced they’re delusional. They failed to find a woman in their youth due to their failures and now want to force a young woman on them due to their wealth and lust. It’s disgusting to know that we live in a society where an innocent, young girl can essentially be purchased for pleasure, atleast this is more prevalant in decadant nations.

Hi John,

Wow – strong words, you are clearly a man of passion. Age gap relationships have been happening since the beginning of civilized society and most probably before. Personally, I think there is no harm in sensible age-gap relationships so long as both the parties involved are adults – and by adults I mean people over the age of about 25. Also, age gap relationships are increasingly happening both ways, now there are plenty of younger men seeking relationships with older women, take for example Kris Jenner and Kylie Minogue. Thanks for your comment and have a nice day.

—Alyce

• Kate says:

I just want to take a minute to praise Alyce for her graceful deflection of mansplaining trolls. Super classy blog ninjutsu.

• Josh says:

If a woman takes good care of her self (exercises, eats right, and dresses classy, she can be attractive into her 40’s…. HOWEVER, it seems most women do not do these things, and fall apart somewhere near 26

• Haley says:

Very interesting article! I thought I’d share personal experience. I’m 63 and in a long-term relationship with a man a few years younger. We met several years ago on a dating site. I have taken care of my health and appearance and had many men younger than me contacting me when I was online dating. I even dated one who was 13 years younger who thought I was lying about my age and stating it to be older than it was. I don’t know about in your part of the world, but I can tell you that here in the US, very very few men over the age of 50 look good or healthy and the vast majority over 60 are overweight/obese with many health problems. One of the biggest problem with men in the US is erection failure due to our toxic food supply and the endocrine disrupting chemicals in our environment. I read an article about doctors seeing more and more men in their 30’s and even younger with these problems. Maybe our toxic planet will turn this upside down so that older women will have the advantage going forward. Who knows!

Hi Haley,

Thanks for getting in touch and I am so glad that you have looked after your health. Yes, where I live in Australia, we do have a reputation for healthy, robust men but sadly, we have obesity rates very much in line with the US, that is to say – lots of people are overweight and obese; the risk only increasing with age. I love the notion that the world will turn on its head (as you say) and older women will have their time in the sun – it’s about bloody time if you ask me! Thanks for your comments and keep up the good work!
      –Love, Alyce

• Casandra says:

It would be nice to see a study on this broken down by ethnicities. My mother is reaching her 40s pregnant with a healthy baby. However people mistaken her for my sister sometimes younger sister because she is shorter than me and I just turned 22. Where hispanic and indigenous. My grandmother hasnt aged much as well, and she was married a few years ago to a younger man 15 years younger than her. He thought she was younger as well, he passed unfortunately. I’ve just notice the more pigmentation a person has along with being healthy inside and out, seems to slow down or has less of an aging process. But most of my family is genetically like that, there are days depending on what my mom wears she looks like shes in high school, and has been mistaken for a student when she picked up my youngest sister at school once.

Hi Casandra,

Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, a study by cultural heritage would be great to see! I have one parent who is Mediterranean (Slovenia) and one who is Caucasian (Ireland) and I live in a country where we have high instances of skin cancer and premature ageing (Australia). I can say from personal experience that high melanin is beneficial to youthfulness appearance. As the supermodel Naomi Campbell said (and I quote) “black don’t crack”. (QUOTE) I don’t see myself as gorgeous and I’m fed up with people saying I’ve had plastic surgery and lipo. I don’t need it, because black don’t crack.
      Naomi Campbell
      While I may not be as lucky as Naomi – I love the fact that she’s confirming that her cultural heritage is in part related to her youthful appearance.
      Thanks for your comments and talk again soon.
      –Alyce