I want to provide a word of warning here. I am not sure that divination is a wise thing for people to play around with; that is, to tell your fortune with playing cards. Yes, I have learned this the hard way. I am not an expert and to correctly read tarot or playing cards it is essential that one completes spiritual studies. It is not the sort of thing to delve into if you are uniformed.
Having said that, I do not think that there is anything wrong with reading your own cards, or pulling some cards for yourself so long as you don’t take the results to heart too much. If ever I pull a card for someone else (on their instruction) I always let them know that I am not trained and that they need to take responsibility for their own interpretation.
Why is this? Should you tell your fortune with playing cards?
You can gain bad karma for reading incorrectly, or with bad intentions. I am also not keen on money exchanging hands for readings – even though this is common these days. In my youth I have often paid for readings of various kinds, now I am very cautious about doing this. So tell your fortune with playing cards with caution.
Would you like a Free Dream Analysis? Click here for more details.
So – learn to read cards – this is called cartomancy. But do this with caution and read widely on the subject – don’t play around with fortune. Knowing the meanings of the suits is a good skill to have – I like to learn the meanings of symbols and signs. If you would like an introduction to the subject, check out my post: How to Tell Your Fortune with Playing Cards
The Suit of Spades
- Associated with winter
- Often means ‘be careful’
- Is a serious suit, not nonchalant or playful
- Linked with Gemini, Libra and Aquarius
- Symbolises darkness and power
- Can also be associated with fighting, destiny or death
Strange Spades fact: “During the 1400s and 1500s, taxes were placed on card decks. Throughout England, only government printers produced the ace of spades and card printers could only purchase the ace of spades from the government. “ (source)
The Suit of Clubs
- Associated with original thought
- Often are dynamic ‘vehicle’ cards – they get you moving
- Means getting to work, getting a project started
- They can often mean disappointments and setbacks
- Associated with power and the noble class
- Connects with Leo, Sagittarius and Aries
Strange Clubs fact: In a deck of tarot cards, Clubs corresponds to Wands. When referring to timing in a Tarot reading, the Suit of Wands traditionally represents summer or a period of weeks. (source)
The Suit of Diamonds
- Diamonds stand for the Power of values, material wealth
- Associated with the ‘value’ of things, not just monetary
- Diamonds rule merchants, manufacturers, big businesses, producers and bankers
- Can mean money, risk or excitement
- In tarot, diamonds is represented by the pentacle
- A negative reading can relate to overindulgence, greed and materialism
Strange Diamonds fact: The suit of Diamonds has personality traits: “Materialistic, money-minded, on the egotistical side, aloof, difficult to know. (source)
The Suit of Hearts
- Hearts stand for emotions, the status of relationships, your ideals and wishes
- Hearts can also mean sentimental feelings and hidden desires
- This suit may also relate to opportunities to celebrate your thankfulness and success
- Can mean marriage, love or a relationship
- Can also symbolise string emotions and being overly emotional
- Children, parents and friendship are also associated with this suit
- In the old order, related to the clergy and to God
Strange Hearts fact: “When there are several [hearts] in a spread they mean the questioner will experience love and happiness even if the other cards suggest that there will be problems along the way.” (source)
A final word of warning on cartomancy and whether it’s a good idea to tell your fortune with playing cards
As I mentioned, it is important to do your own research on spiritual matters, and on matters of divination, which cartomancy is. Fortune telling has a maligned history and this is for very good reason – you can be frauded out of money.
If you tell someone their fortune, you are giving them a prophecy – you are taking on some responsibility. Please keep this in mind and make sure any divination you do is ethical, and considered. If in doubt, don’t. To tell your fortune with playing cards is a real life skill.