What does it mean to dream of birds?

Have you had a dream of birds? They are very common and are in many cases highly symbolic. Let’s take a look at what dream symbols mean for your waking life – specifically in this case – when you have a dream of birds.

Another night, another dream. Last night I was attacked by swooping cockatoos. These are gorgeous, crested Australian birds that have white plumage and a festive yellow crest. Everybody loves them. The problem was, in my dream, they were black…and giving me a very hard time too! Have you had a recent dream of birds?

dream of birds

It is common to dream of birds

One of the best places online to get a comprehensive Dream Symbols guide is from the Dream Moods Dictionary: “Birds in your dream symbolize your goals, aspirations and hopes. To dream of chirping and/or flying birds represent joy, harmony, ecstasy, balance, and love. It denotes a sunny outlook in life. You are experiencing spiritual freedom and psychological liberation. It is almost as if a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.”

Not so much for me. My birds were black and on the attack. What might this mean?

Want more information? Click to read Dreaming of Birds | What is the meaning of birds in your dream?

Attacking birds

To dream of aggressive birds (if they were attacking you, or killing people, in your dream) is a warning to be careful with those around you. Take notice of who you know in your waking life that could remind you of a bird, or who has a name that sounds like a bird’s name – this is the person to watch out for. (source)

Bird attacking: Fear of ideas, ideals or opinions; verbal or mental (suggestions or suggestive behaviour) attack by others; fear of going beyond one’s narrow boundaries. Be daring and face the restraints that hold you back. (source)

I have also updated this post on Dreaming About Birds with some additional info that was sent in by two of my readers. Click to read Dreaming of Birds | What is the meaning of birds in your dream?

To dream of birds on the attack means that you are being pulled in too many directions. You are experiencing conflict with your spirituality. If the birds are trying to break into houses, then it implies that you are not following your desired path in life. Others are meddling in your life and interfering with your life path. (source)

What are the colours of the birds in the dream?

If the bird is white in the dream, it means that one’s work is clean, if his color is tanned in the dream, it means that one’s work is tainted. (source)

Birds represent physical and emotional freedom. They can also represent religious feelings. (source)

Experiencing conflict with my spirituality

I think this is what my dream means. My actions in life are often counter to my spiritual goals and pursuits. It’s hard knowing the right things to do, and finding yourself constantly hamstrung and not being able to do it.

As we have discovered, dreaming of birds is about your spirituality inside. They are a representation of your goals and highs. In this case, Lenora, you knew the bird’s name, and when you called it, it came to you. This is very interesting, because to hear your name being called in your dream indicates that you are in touch and in tune with your spirituality.

29 Comments

• Chris says:

In my dream, I was taking part in a survey studying wild birds that trusted humans, there were 3 of us that had a wild bird that would come to our hands, and in the dream the survey people decided to film and monitor reactions when they were brought indoors to treat for any mites and parasites, turned out my little female sparrow had mites attacking her eyes, would have been painful and led to blindness and death, she was a little nervous but had complete trust in me, got treated and released, the survey ultimately wanted to see if the trust would pass onto mates and young, hopefully slowly to control diseases such as avian flu in wild birds

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch. Only you can truly interpret your dreams but I suggest doing some meditation on this one. Mites and bugs can symbolise things that are “bugging you”, bothering you and getting under your skin. Eyes are the windows to the soul, so if there is something in your eye – this means that you may have spiritual obstacles to overcome. Try to find out what the sparrow in your dream represented to you – is it yourself, someone else? Thanks for getting in touch.
      –Alyce

• Taylor says:

So I’ve had a dream where a tsll black flightless has been roaming around and attacks anyone in sight. Usually there’s just one, thete was 4 this time.

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for your email. Only you can truly interpret your dreams so I suggest that you meditate on this symbology. In terms of universal symbols – the number 4 means “creation”, “wholeness”, “completion”. Flightless birds like emus and ostriches can mean blockages or “putting your head in the sand”. Maybe you are “not facing reality” and need to be attacked by your subconscious in your dreams to make you take notice. What feelings are “pecking away at you”? Are you being attacked from various angles in your life? Birds also symbolise your inner spirituality so be aware that this dream may be your inner subconscious trying to contact you about something important.
      take care and sweet dreams.
      love, Alyce

• Kaine Johnson says:

I had this dream that left me troubled for some reason. I was on the backyard of my house when I saw a white, baby bird coming to me and it flipped its wings on my face, its wings were poisonous. After it, another bird, but this time bigger, flew to me attacking my face with its poisonous wings.

I went into my house and called my partner, I asked her to call the ambulance as I was feeling ill. She couldn’t understand why; I tried to explain, but I couldn’t talk as my throat was getting blocked because of the bird’s poison. I fainted, fell and died while I saw my girlfriend screaming in horror.

What could this mean? I woke up with an odd feeling from it.

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Kaine,

This is a very interesting dream and I can understand that it must have been troubling for you. Dreaming of your throat might often symbolise the things that have been left unsaid, or the things you are having trouble expressing. Is there something you have been meaning to say to your partner that you are holding back? Is there some “poison” in your relationship that you want to address, but cannot out of fear?

Only you can truly interpret your dreams, but when we wake up troubled, our dreams deserve deeper investigation, as they are often messages from our subconscious, or our Guides.

Thanks for sharing this dream and I suggest you do some meditation on it. Try to go back to the feelings you experienced, live the dream again in your waking life, and see what clues you can find.

All the strength,
      Alyce

• Binita says:

I saw beautiful large red and yellow hand tamed pet budgies in a cage and beautiful large green pet parrots in an open cage but not flying off. The birds semed happy in the cage and in the dream i was planning to get them home. Also watched two mating parrots. It wasn’t a per store rather someone’s home that I had visited who was happily ready to give me these animals. And finally in the dream I see myself gleefully bringing a beautiful white rabbit home.. cuddling it like a baby with the promise to come back later with a cage to carry the birds home. A red budgie, a yellow budgie and a pair of parrots

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Binita,

“To see a rabbit in your dream signifies luck, magical power, and success. You have a positive outlook on life. Alternatively, rabbits symbolise abundance, warmth, fertility and sexual activity. Perhaps your sex life needs to be kept in check.” Remember, only you can truly interpret your dreams. Best of luck with this and try to meditate on what the colours might symbolise.

Love, Alyce

• Binita says:

What could such a dream mean.

• Dana says:

I had a dream that a bird was screaming in agony as though it were being attacked. I looked up into the branches of a tree and saw a crow violently pecking at a cardinal. The cardinal was visibly wounded and managed to fly to another branch within distance of me where it let out a finally chirp before blood poured from it’s eyes and beak. I woke up in fear and still can recall it quite vividly.

• Rolando Fernandez says:

I dreamt about a huge bird in a disguise that approached a friend of mine. My friend was was perched outside a window looking in at the bird which intrigued us. I was in a car looking at my friend who was dressed in armour. This friend is insignificant. I haven’t heard from him in a while and is infact the brother of my best friend. Either way, he is looking in and this huge bird realizes that this man is outside looking at him. He approaches the man and reaches out with the claws. Grabs him and then crushes him by the ribs. You can see this huge bird just claw into his body. I said, surely my friend is dead. The bird continues and inserts the beak several times into his body and blood starts gushing out. The man, my friend is stuck by now and can’t get away. The dream was quite graphic and I woke up as the bird continued to gore the man.

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Rolando,

Thanks for taking the time to share this very graphic and frightening dream. Only you can truly interpret your dreams, Hopefully, you find some resolution to this – dreams are nothing to fear.

Love, Alyce

• Matt says:

I had a dream where I was on my old street running down the sidewalk & there use to be a middle aged women and her husband who sat on their porch, well anywho as I ran passed I seen him release a black bird inside stepped it and kept running then he released a few more and I dodged them but as I reached my old house in the dream one lacked its beck on to my pointer finger and I was shaking my hand dramatically trying to get it to release then I woke up. And idea what this could mean? Not sure what kind of bird it was but was all black that I do know!

• Matt says:

Sorry for my bad typing and auto correct have fat fingers haha! Not inside I meant i side stepped the first bird & lached not lacked. & any not and Sorry for the misspelles!

• Ola says:

i had a dream i saw 3 white birds in my room with their poops. m not sure of the type of birds..but i think it’s a dove…so i took them outside after seeing it poops..please what is the meaning of this dream

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Ola,

Thanks for sharing your dream with us. Only you can truly interpret your dreams. I found one interpretation of “poop” : “To see or come in contact with feces signifies aspects of yourself that are dirty and negative and which you believe to be undesirable and repulsive. You need to acknowledge and express these feelings, even though it may be shameful. Release the negativity in your life. Alternatively, it may also refer to someone who is anal retentive.”

Perhaps meditate on the deeper meaning for you.

Love, Alyce

• Shahbano says:

Pleade do help me I saw a dream that 2 eagles were making together on roof. And they were so big even bigger than the tractors .

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Shah,

According to http://dreammoods.com/ eagles symbolise, “nobility, pride, fierceness, freedom, superiority, courage, and powerful intellectual ability.” They also represent self-renewal and your connection with your spirituality. As for seeing two eagles mating – sex can often mean two aspects of yourself merging – particularly contrasting elements of your personality.

Thanks for sharing your dream.

–Alyce

• Shashi Kumar says:

I had a dream last few days before tat many love birds wer surrounded by me n started to bite my finger n few love birds wer sitting on my head,i was strucked too to get that birds from my head,, in the end I pulled all birds slowing,..wat is the meaning of this dream abt? Pls reply

• Paul says:

Hi Alyce,
    Last night in my dream a baby African parrot (it’s a grey bird) flew from somewhere, and hanged on my right hip. Then he moved on my chest. I petted him, and it was a very nice feeling. We looked to each other, and he made sounds as a chick, but then he said with a parrot voice “I love you”. It was a pleasant dream, but with all my experience in reading dreams it’s hard to get its meaning. I need to mention that today is my soon birthday. It could be a connection, and nothing other special event happened today … but I still confused about the meaning.

• Alyce Vayle says:

Thanks for sharing your dream with us , Paul. To dream of birds on the attack means that you are being pulled in too many directions. Perhaps you are reconciling this feeling with the loving words your bird has spoken to you. Remember, only you can truly interpret your dreams. I suggest you meditate on these symbols and ask your guides for spiritual help before you next go to sleep.

Love, Alyce.

• Helen says:

I had a dream last night that left me abit puzzled . I was driving with the windows open. Three white cockatoos were flying beside me. One cockatoo flies inside my car and tries to bite the back of my neck, but I shoo it away and it flew out of my car and shut the all the windows.
    What does this dream mean

• Alyce Vayle says:

Hi Helen,

Attacking birds: To dream of birds on the attack means that you are being pulled in too many directions.
      Three: Three stands for a trilogy, as in the past, present, and future or father, mother, and child or body, mind, and soul, etc.
      Car: Your direction in life

I think your dream means that you feel hassled by opposing forces in your life that you are trying to shut out. Remember, only you can truly interpret your dreams. I suggest you meditate on these symbols and ask your guides for spiritual help before you next go to sleep.

–Good luck and (hopefully) sweet dreams.

Love, Alyce